Some thoughts from Sam Mutimer, Founder, Thinktank Social – Fulworks Business Q&A – Melbourne 28 May 2014 – “Social Media: Dynamic Business device or devil in disguise?”
Sassy Sam Mutimer saw an opportunity to find her niche, and launched Thinktank Social – as a social media marketing agency in Melbourne. (Here’s her story, as told to me in my ‘Enterprising Women’ column in the AFR, January 2013).
She’s succeeded and failed at a lots of social media strategies – she knows how to use it to the max as a dynamic business device AND where to find the devil.
Check out her key points, below. And here’s her video snapshot of tips from our Fulworks event.
- It can be hard to control, especially if resources are limited
- When out of control it moves fast
- It is a public forum which does attract trolls, and negative opinions
- If you don’t have a plan it can cost you – more than money
- There is so much choice – where do you begin?
- You have to keep investing time and money to manage it
- Your brand has a voice
- You can engage with your customers in meaningful ways and gain insights
- This engagement is measurable/trackable
- The consumer can be your marketing advocate
- It is with people all the time – accessible
- The speed and scale to market is massive